In this episode, Steve, Mary, Richard, and Steve discuss:
- Seeing opportunity all around you.
- Building relationships regardless of where you are now.
- Controlling the brand and stopping the race to the bottom.
- Mistakes that have been made in the business and how Steve learned from those mistakes.
- Don’t be afraid to fail, as long as you learn from those mistakes.
- Surround yourself with good people, even if they are smarter than yourself.
- Don’t underestimate ecommerce.
- Be willing to look outside the box and see what you can do to better serve your partners and customers.
“We made a very tough decision in mid-2015 to pivot the business model. We took back ownership of our brand, we took control of where the business was going, pivoted to more of an ecommerce model. It was a big change, we had a very sizeable business, pivoted, then grew it again. So there’s something to be learned in that. — Steve Layton
About Steve Layton:
The Layton Group has been one of Australia’s premier furniture supply and manufacturing businesses, supplying furniture and homewares to the majority of Australia’s largest retailers since 1998. Founder, Steve Layton, started the group in Hong Kong, in 1990, and was one of the early pioneers in developing China’s production and export of furniture to Australia, USA and Europe. Today, the group boasts 9 business units, employs over 50 and has an annual turnover in excess of 50 million. As a key player in China’s ever-growing manufacturing industry, The Layton Group is proud to be helping develop China’s focus on socially responsible production and sustainable supply.
About Sofa Brands
Sofa Brands sofabrands.com.au/, founded by Steve Layton, a longstanding key player in the Australian furniture industry, brings heritage Italian-made and designed Calia Italia and Nicoletti Home sofas and upholstery to Australia and New Zealand for consumers to purchase at as little as one-third of the price of a typical Italian-made, top-of-the-range sofa. All without diminishing the quality of the models, which are backed up by a lifetime warranty on frames and a five-year warranty on leather, foam and fabrics.
Sofa Brands has the rights to manufacture Calia Italia and Nicoletti Home brands in China using Italian and locally sourced components and to supply to their China retail partners and to distribute in Australia, the USA and New Zealand. It is anticipated that the brands will be available in select partner stores and market places in Australia and New Zealand by the end of 2018. sofabrands.com.au/
Connect with Steve Layton:
Follow Beyond 8 Figures: