In this episode, Steve, Mary, Richard, and Christopher discuss:
- How Christopher got involved with Mercury Interactive and how they scaled to $4.5 Billion.
- How Mercury Interactive was able to execute, as a team, a big exit following a rocky year.
- His philosophy of what he looks at going into a company and how he looks at business now.
- The way and the pace at which everything is changing in the world and ways to think and act regarding that change.
- Don’t be afraid to be different and try something unique that nobody else is doing.
- Do something legendary.
- Sometimes a pause does refresh and set you up to move forward.
- Don’t be afraid to set an audacious goal and aggressively work towards it.
- Carve out a new niche, a new category. The category makes the company. The category makes the career. Branding doesn’t matter if the category doesn’t matter.
“Pick the niche. Design it and dominate it. Then ask yourself, ‘If we were smart, and we were us, what would we do?’” — Christopher Lochhead
About Christopher: Christopher Lochhead is the co-author of Harper Collins’ “instant classic” Play Bigger: How Pirates, Dreamers and Innovators Create and Dominate Markets and he’s the co-host of the Legends and Losers Podcast.
Christopher is a former three-time public company CMO and entrepreneur. Fast Company Magazine calls him a “Human Exclamation Point,” The Marketing Journal says he’s one of “The Best Minds in Marketing” and the Economist calls him “off-putting to some.” At 18 he got thrown out of school and with no other options he started a company. After 30 years in business, he’s mostly retired. He can recite much of The Big Lebowski, but can’t remember his wife’s phone number. He’s an ass-kicking speaker, surf and ski bum and proud advisor to non-profit 1 Life Fully Lived, living happily ever after in Santa Cruz California.
Connect with Christopher Lochhead:
Follow Beyond 8 Figures: